Kou Shuurei

Character Name: Kou Shuurei
Series: Saiunkoku Monogatari
Outfit: Imperial Consort Dress

Started: July 2007
Finished: July 2007
Hours to make: 65
Cost of materials: approx. $300 (Can.)
Status: Retired
Worn at: Otakon 2007, Otakuthon 2007, AC-Cubed 2007

A friend of mine had been fangirling the series and wanted a friend she could fangirl with, so I gave the series a try. Much to my surprise (and hers), I adored the series. We started planning out a cosplay group (that ended up not happening as usual >.>) and I chose to do Shuurei's consort dress. It was partially a height based decision, but I also liked her costume the most. <3

I really wanted to finish it for Otakon, but for a bunch of different reasons, the costume didn't get started until a little under a week before I left for the con. Most of it ended up being rush job. It wasn't the smartest thing in the world to do considering I'd never tried to make a wig like that before. For the most part, I'm really happy with how it turned out. The wig has to be fixed a little, and I would really like to redo parts of the headpiece if I ever get the time/money for it.

As the dress she wears indicates she's practically royalty, it had to look expensive. For that reason, I used silks and other expensive looking material. I think the only part of the costume that was actually silk was the pink part of the sleeves. The yellow part of the sleeves was ribbon and the green part was trimming for beds I think...

For the white part (or at least the stuff that's visible), there was this material I had used for a previous costume that would have been perfect for this. It was a mixed fibers material and it had a nice sheen to it. I was really lucky and found the same stuff in the fabric store. I can't seem to remember what the red part or the shawl was made out of... >.<

The wig and the headpiece were seriously last minute. It was done the day before I left for the con. The wig started off as a Cher951. I cut the bangs and then styled the wig. No extensions were used, although it would have been nice to have some for the back. The headpiece was shaped with Wonderflex and then coated in Friendly Plastic to get rid of the gauzy texture. The process to flatten out all of the plastic was long and tedious. Plus it didn't smoothen out completely like I would have liked it to. The headpiece didn't turn out nearly as bad as I thought it would, but there's definite room for improvement. For one, the only thing that was holding the thing in place was two bobbypins and glue gun holding said bobbypins to the headpiece. I need to find a better way to secure the thing... Also, I ran out of Friendly Plastic before I finished covering the Wonderflex, so you can see a difference in texture at the back. The two flowers are also being held in by bobbypins and glue gun.

For AC-Cubed 2007, I completly remade the wig and head piece. The two black loops at the top were made out of hair extensions and were then pinned on the wig to remain secure. The head piece was made out of craft foam and thin craft wood. It's much lighter, and I think it looks a lot better too. I'm very happy with the way it came out. =)